If you search for ‘Top 10 Criminals’ on Google Image Search, you will find Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’ topping the list and Indians are not happy with this.
There are currently three pictures of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi featuring in the top 10 criminals of the world in Google search engine and some reports suggest the search engine giant has already apologized for ‘any confusion or misunderstanding’, but the images are still visible on Google.
That means Google hasn’t removed the images even after an official complaint launched by the government of India.
If you search ‘Top 10 Criminals‘ on Google Image Search, you will find the following results:
- Number one in the list is Alphonse Gabriel aka “Al” Capone, an American gangster
- The number 2, 3 and 4 in the list is Indian Prime Minister Modi
- Number 5 in the list is Mexican drug lord Joaquín Guzmán Loera,
- Number 6 is Jason Barnum, a cop killer and famous for his eyeball tattoo
- Number 7 is Ayman al-Zawahiri, the current leader of al-Qaeda
- Number 8 is O.J. Simpson, a retired American football player
- Number 9 goes to everyone’s favorite George W. Bush
- Number 10 goes to Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith II, a con artist, saloon and gambling house proprietor, gangster, and crime boss of the nineteenth-century Old West.
If you search ‘Top 10 Criminals in the world’ on Google Image Search, you will find the following results:
Reaction from India:
Thousands of angry Indians have taken to social media to express their feelings over the Google Search Image results, bashing Google, and asking authorities to remove Modi’s pictures from Google search results.
In a conversation with Google, QZ was told that:
“Google’s algorithms rely on more than 200 unique signals or ‘clues’ that make it possible to guess what you might really be looking for. In image search, these signals include things like the terms on websites surrounding the image, the metadata associated with the picture.”
Researchers believe by asking Google to remove Modi from the #Top10Criminals results, you’re making things worse.
Modi and Criminal?
In 2002, hundreds of Muslims in the state of Gujarat have burned alive along with their properties and the Chief Minister at that time was Narendra Modi. He was accused of initiating and condoning anti-Muslim riots. In 2012, Modi was cleared of complicity in the violence by a Special Investigation Team (SIT) appointed by the Supreme Court of India.
What do you think? Should Google remove these images? Who else would you like to see in these search results? ;)