Someone is using Anonymous’s name to spread rumors about ISIS planning to target different events worldwide.
A Pastebin post posted by someone claiming to have a connection with the Anonymous hacktivist movement claims they have prior knowledge to a series of terrorist attacks planned by the so-called Islamic State (IS, previously ISIS/ISIL) group starting from 22nd November 2015.
The post claims the inside information about the attacks has already been shared with the law enforcement authorities around the world but “because the authorities have not done anything and it’s almost 22nd November 2015 we have decided to come in front and publically share the threat information”, says the group.
The list of targets posted by the self-proclaimed Anonymous includes:
WWE’s Survivor Series, which will take place in Atlanta, Georgia on 22nd November 2015.
Feast of Christ the King celebrations (Rome/Worldwide)
Al-Jihad, 1 Day Juz (Indonesia)
Five Finger Death Punch (Milan, Italy)
University Pastoral Day (Holy Spirit University of Kaslik, Lebanon)
“All proof was submitted to official authorities all around the globe days ago. They have it and it is their responsibility to do something with it. But because they have not done anything with it yet and it’s almost the 22nd, we have taken matters into our hands. We only take the responsibility of warning civilians (in case the authorities do not act well enough),” according to the Pastie.
Speaking to International Business Times, the group behind the alert of these potential attacks said it had passed proof to MI5, CIA, FBI and the Australian government but has no plans to release it publicly.
“If we share the proof everyone will start calling it fake because screenshots can be edited and accounts can be deleted. We have purposely not shared account links publicly because they would be shut down immediately and then no one would believe the proof.”
However, one of the largest Anonymous account on Twitter turned down the threats claim in one simple line:
Take all rumors of possible future ISIS attacks with a grain of salt.
— Anonymous (@YourAnonNews) November 21, 2015
Anonymous and the so-called Islamic State are at war against each other for a very long time. The war intensified after the Paris terrorist attacks. Currently, Anonymous is conducting cyber attacks on websites and social media pages of the terrorist group.
The Internet is full of rumors, sometimes it is impossible to check the authenticity of the claims made by hackers and whistleblowers. In this case, readers are urged not to fall for fear mongering tactics.